The Boy Who Tried to Shrink His Name
Listen to Alyson O'Brien and Sandhya Parappukkaran talk about The Boy Who Tried to Shrink His Name.
Stay For Dinner
Fun Facts about
- I love mangoes – green ones! Dipped in salt and chilli powder.
- My first language – Malayalam. This word is a pallindrome!
- Sandhya is a two syllable word (Sun-dhya) meaning ‘dusk’. Parappukkaran is pronounced Para-pu:-kkaa:-ren. The stress is on the kk and the second last ‘a’ is a long vowel sound.
- Possibly the first Malayali-Australian to be a finalist for the Queensland Literary Award!!
- I visit the library once a week.
- Galahs are my favourite bird. You can see them around Brisbane.
Sandhya Parappukkaran’s session was focused on brainstorming ideas for writing topics. The students left the session truly inspired, begging to continue with their ideas when we returned to class. We have since been able to use these techniques in the classroom.
This was an excellent session where the students learnt great skills, including incorporating their own cultures or special memories into their writing.